Using LinkedIn to Find Job Matches
LinkedIn will forward opportunities to you, based on your stated interests and location preferences. To set up your desired parameters:
- Go to LinkedIn, clean up/update your profile, and click the "Jobs" icon in the gray toolbar at the top;
- Click the "Update career interests" link;
- Switch the "Let recruiters know you're open" toggle to On;
- Add job titles that interest you (the system will autofill with suggestions, based on your input);
- Type cities or states where you would like to work (again the system will autofill suggestions);
- Select the type of job you seek (full-time, part-time, etc.);
- Click "Show company preference" to add the industries and company size you prefer.
The system will save your information as you enter it, so don't fret if you don't see a "SAVE button. By tailoring your selections to those career fields and locations you prefer, LinkedIn will be able to send a listing of opportunities weekly (depending on available opportunities that match you). Many employers you learn about through LinkedIn will want you to apply through the system, so make sure your profile is flawless - that means proper capitalization, grammar, punctuation, etc. Be sure to keep your account accurately up-to-date, as this information will influence what opportunities you will see.