The Career Center welcomes the opportunity to work with alumni throughout the year. Would you like assistance with your own career-related issues? Would you like to help current students?
Either way, we have information for you below that will give you an overview of the ways that you can get involved.
The Career Center is here to help you!
The Career Center at Hanover College is serves alumni at no charge. You may be facing life-changing issues such as lay off, dissatisfaction with your current job, or relocation to another geographical area. Whatever the reason, call us at (812) 866-7127 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
To help you maneuver your way through your job search, here is a sampling of practical tools the Career Center has to offer to help simplify what can be a daunting task:
- NACElink: This system allows alumni to search job openings that have been posted by employers, as well as post your résumé for these employers to review. Visit https://hanover-csm.symplicity.com/students/ to begin using NACElink. If you do not already have a username and password, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to setup an account.
- Job Fairs: Graduates of the most recent five classes are welcome to attend our job fairs, the Collegiate Career Expo, held annually in Indianapolis, IN, and the Spotlight Job and Internship Fair held in Lexington, KY. These exclusive fairs are co-sponsored by Hanover College and target seniors and recent graduates of liberal arts colleges in Indiana and Kentucky.
- Networking tips and leads: The Career Center can provide you with a list of alumni in a certain career field or within a certain geographical area to help make those all-important network connections. If you have a profile at LinkedIn, we encourage you to join our group, Hanover Career Alumni Network (HanoverCAN). HanoverCAN allows you to network with a variety of other Hanover Alumni within a myriad of career fields. Log in to LinkedIn and go to Hanover Career Alumni Network . You can also catch up with old classmates by clicking here.
- Résumé, Cover Letter, and other document guides: Résumé styles and formats can change frequently over time. The Career Center's Résumé Guide and Cover Letter Guide are updated regularly to keep alumni current on the recent trends and standards. Go to Publications for links to our current issues and more information.
- Résumé Critiques: Once a résumé or cover letter is updated, our staff is available to review it and offer editing suggestions to help all candidates put their best foot forward. E-mail your documents to us as an attachment for assistance, noting the position for which you are applying in your message.
- Mock Interviews: After reading the Interviewing Guide, it helps to practice those skills. Mock Interviews can be scheduled at the Career Center or via telephone for alumni. This is a most helpful tool, especially if you haven't been interviewed in a while.
- Tools to help find your true interests and strengths: Many times, what we do and what we LIKE to do are two different things. The Career Center can help with assessments that can give you insight you might not find elsewhere.
- Tips for online job searches beyond the daily newspapers’ classified ads: Times have changed, and so has the manner in which most employers post their job openings. The Career Center is here to help you link to the most effective job search engines and websites.
- The Career Center Resource Library: Our library holds over 700 books about careers ranging from Advertising to Zoology. This is a great place to start researching a career field. If you are in the Hanover area, feel free to stop by during our office hours to see the selections. If you are out of the Hanover area, call or e-mail the Career Center for information on titles that might be available at your local library.
- Credential Files: The Career Center maintains and mails credential files, including letters of recommendation and résumés. Alumni are invited to keep current documents in their file, noting that all letters of recommendation must be typed on letterhead and mailed directly to the Career Center from the referee.
The Career Center is here to help YOU, whether you graduated last year, 5 years ago, or 50 years ago, whether you find yourself unexpectedly out of work, or you just want to keep your résumé current with the latest format. There is never a charge for our services – let us know what we can do for you.
The Career Center could use your help, too!
Winston Churchill once said, "We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." Would you like to assist current students and alumni searching for jobs? Your expertise, insight into your profession and understanding of a Hanover College student's background will prove invaluable to our students and alumni as they select, explore, and plan strategies to enter their own careers. Please call the Career Center at (812) 866-7127 or e-mail us at email@example.com to volunteer - there are many ways that you can help:
Join the Hanover Network: Drop us a line and let us know what you're up to and where you are. Keeping your information current is the best way to help us. To assist the Career Center in any activities described below, fill out the Alumni Career Network Form, and we'll let alumni and students know of your interest.
Job Shadowing: You can help a student gain insight into what your career field is like by hosting them for one representative work day. Contact Margaret Krantz at 812-866-7127 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Internships: Do you find yourself postponing a pet project until you can find time? Let us find a great student to intern with you, paid or unpaid. Do you need help to develop a good internship? Let David Harden, our Internship and Career Connections Coordinator, assist you. He can be reached at 812-866-7127 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Information Interviews: Spend about 20 minutes by telephone, as you discuss your job with a current student (on their tab). Tell them about the satisfactions and challenges of your field, discuss the qualifications required to enter it and assist them in planning job search strategies.
Alumni Career Panels: Share your career experiences and expertise with students during alumni career panels while you enjoy catching up with old friends. Contact the Career Center at 812-866-7127 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
On Campus Recruiting: There are many opportunities for you to meet Hanover’s students. For example, depending on your hiring needs, you might:
- Conduct on-campus interviews with seniors or potential interns. If you would like to meet with our students to discuss internships or permanent positions, we will work with you to set up a mutually beneficial schedule.
- Staff a table in our student center at peak hours to talk with students about employment opportunities. We’ll handle all the publicity and the arrangements, and your meal is on us.
- Offer an afternoon or evening presentation to students interested in your organization. Again, we’ll handle the logistics, and can support all your audiovisual requirements. Contact Sue Tilley at 812-866-7127 or by e-mail at email@example.com to set a date to come back to campus and visit!
- Post your current job openings through NACElink at: https://hanover-csm.symplicity.com/employers/ After setting up your company profile, you can be linked to Hanover students and post your job and internship openings directly to those students.
Alumni Mentor Program: Would you like to develop an on-going relationship with one senior, providing guidance, networking leads and job search strategies throughout the academic year? Your participation in the Alumni Mentor program can make a real difference to a student's career success. Please view our Alumni Mentor Brochure . Contact Margaret Krantz at 812-866-7127 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer for this rewarding program.
HanoverCAN on LinkedIn: By joining the Hanover Career Alumni Network, (HanoverCAN) at LinkedIn, you can help recent graduates get the most from their professional network, by providing them with networking opportunities, engaging in discussions, and sharing your advice. You may see a familiar face or two! Log in and join Hanover Career Alumni Network.
The Career Center is here to help make and keep the Hanover Connection.
Feel free to contact Career Center Staff and we'll be happy to help you!